Scholarship Deadline - February 5, 2018
Deadline: February 5, 2018
Who: The Al Forthan Memorial Scholarship is awarded to an Oregon high school senior from a family affected by alcohol or drug addiction. ‘Affected by addiction’ is defined as follows: you were raised by a parent or guardian who experienced addiction or you abused alcohol or drugs and are now pursuing recovery.
What: One $10,000 scholarship will be awarded in 2018 any many others in various amounts.
How to apply: Scholarship awards will be based on the students’ response to each of the following six questions or statements.
(1) It is a fact that alcohol and drugs are widely used and abused by teenagers in the United States. Research this topic and describe some of the solutions to this problem. (1page)
(2) Research how race and class correlate with incarceration rates in terms of alcohol and drug addiction. (1 page)
(3a) Use a spreadsheet or table to list all volunteer/community service work and high school activities (sports, drama, music, etc.) and the number of hours and or years you have participated in those activities.
(3b) Describe how the volunteer/service work you performed has impacted you, what has been most meaningful to you, and how the work has shaped your future. (1 page)
(4) Please describe any income barriers you face to your higher education and also, describe how the scholarship will benefit you in reaching your goals. (1 page)
(5) Describe how alcohol and drug addiction in your family has affected you personally. How did you cope? (1.5 Page)
(6) To be eligible for the $10,000 scholarship you will need to include in your application a one page (maximum) letter of support from a teacher, coach, school counselor, adult mentor, pastor, etc. describing your character and why they would recommend you for this scholarship.
Details: Essays will be e-mailed as a single attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org (please attach your reference letter as a separate attachment if you are applying for the $10,000 scholarship) and are due by February 5, 2018. Please include your address, phone number, e-mail and what school you attend so we can contact you. Please type out each question, followed by your response. All essays should be typed and double spaced.
Add this scholarship deadline to your iCal Calendar
◄ Return to Full List of Scholarships